While out and about in Kodiak there's lots to see and do. Check out some of these local places of interest:
- Kodiak Fisheries Research Center: Located on Near Island, the research center aquarium is a must see.
- Kodiak Wildlife refuge Center: New this year, the refuge center is a great source of information about Kodiak wildlife. The displays and wall sized photos are outstanding. Located on Center St. next to the ferry terminal.
- Russian Orthodox Church: A beautiful church ornate with Orthodox icons, located just off Center St. next to Baronov Museum.
- Veniaminov Museum: Located 2 blocks up from the Russian Church.
- Baranov Museum: One of the oldest structures on the west coast. Collection includes prehistoric Native artifacts, remnants of Russian colonization, mementos of Alaska's territorial days and W.W.II exhibits. Located next to the Russian Othodox Church.
- Alutiiq Museum: Home to many unique and priceless native artifacts, located one block from Russian Church.
- Kodiak Brewing Company: Shelikof St. Kodiak's only brewing company.
- St Paul & St Herman Harbors: Downtown water front. Home to one of the nations largest commercial fishing fleets.
- Trident Basin Seaplane Base: Located in Trident Basin on Near Island, this is where most of the float planes depart for remote areas of Kodiak.
Out the Road:
- Fort Abercrombie State Park: Across the bay from A Captain's Quarters, great hiking and whale watching.
- Kodiak Military Museum: at Fort Abercrombie.
- Buskin River State Park: Located along the Buskin River, a great place to fish for salmon.
- Coast Guard Base: Women's Bay: Home to the largest Coast Guard base on the west coast.
- Kodiak Winery: At about mile 30 on the Chiniak highway.
- Pasagshak River State Park: Take the Pasagshak turn off at mile 25 of the Chiniak Highway. Dramatic change of scenery and great salmon fishing, whale watching.
- Fossil Beach: End of the Pasagshak road, just past rocket launch facility. Beautiful sand beach with fossil embedded cliffs.
- Kodiak Rocket Launch Complex: Just before Fossil Beach.
- Chiniak (roads end): small community at mile 40 of the Chiniak Highway.
View from A Captain's Quarters